Tuesday, June 5, 2012

WASH ME ALL OVER LORD!

 

It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.  Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;  so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”  John 13:1-9

As I was pondering this passage, I wondered why would Jesus wash his disciples feet?  Was there a symbolic message here? Why now?  Why not at the beginning of his ministry?  It was now at the end of his ministry; in fact, Jesus knew that he would soon leave the ones he loved.   

First of all, the washing of the feet was a custom observed by ancient civilizations and may very well be practiced to this day.  But, what I gleaned from this passage, more than an ancient custom was that the feet are symbolic of the dirtiest part of the outer body whereas the heart is the most unclean of our inner body.  Jeremiah said that the heart is the most deceitful above all things (Jeremiah 17:9).

As Jesus took off his outer garment and wrapped the towel around his waist, pouring the water into the basin, he proceeded to wash Peter's feet.  Jesus knew that Peter didn't have a full revelation of this act of humility, but assured Peter that one day he would.  

We, just like Peter, in our lack of understanding will pull back from the very thing that we need.  Until we realize the significance, will we submit to something new.  Jesus made a statement that struck and stirred my heart this morning.  His response to Peter was simple, yet profoundly powerful ~ “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”   If we do not understand the depth of what Jesus was saying to Peter, we will look at this statement and judge it harshly.  How could Jesus speak like that to Peter?  I thought Jesus loved Peter and his disciples.  

Because of Jesus' love for Peter and his disciples, his desire was to wash.... not just the dust from their feet, but the sin from their hearts.  The three years Jesus spent with his disciples was a revelation of himself to them and based on that revelation, they now could either receive him or reject him.  That is always our choice.

We see here Peter..... who gets the revelation quickly and submits to Jesus and declares  “Then, Lord,”  “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”  Now that's a revelation!  Peter realized that if he wanted to be with Jesus forever, he needed the work of Christ from the top of his head to the soles of his feet.  Jesus had said earlier in his ministry that those with a pure heart would see God (Matthew 5:8).  

The Prophet Isaiah said  "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger who brings good news, the good news of peace and salvation, the news that the God of Israel reigns!

Just as the disciples were being prepared to bring the Good News from every mountain and valley, so are we invited to be washed by the Lord that we too can proclaim His salvation!  The way Jesus washes us today is by our submitting to His Lordship as did Peter with repentance of our sinful hearts and ways.  If we long to live for Him and live with Him forever, our response to His invitation should be the same as Peter......  "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”

The Psalmist David said, "Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean: wash me, and I will be whiter than snow" Psalm 51:7  "Create in me a clean heart, O God.  Renew a loyal spirit within me" Psalm 51:10.

So today.....  Will you be like Peter and welcome the Lord Jesus to wash you all over?

No comments:

Post a Comment